Saturday, December 13, 2008

Tweak: Growing Up on Methamphetamines




By Nic Sheff
After reading Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through his Son's Addiction, I felt compelled to read Tweak, his son's story.
I just started it, and find it extremely difficult to read - not that I don't like it, it is so raw and painful. Since I personally have never tried these drugs (meth, heroin, etc) a lot of the lingo I am not understanding. But what is clear is the inner pain these people are suffering with. The irony of confusing it with happiness is the reason many parents should consider reading this book - after - reading Beautiful Boy.
Any parent that is even questioning their adolescents behavior, these are a must read - as painful as they may seem, it is ignorant to think it couldn't happen to you. Be an educated parent - an informed parent. Most importantly, don't be a parent in denial.

No comments: