Sunday, November 18, 2012
Letting Go with Love and Confidence: Raising Responsible, Resilient, Self-Sufficient Teens in the 21st Century
A parenting guide to adolescence - a sensible and considerate resource for navigating your teen to adulthood, transforming a traditional time of strife into an opportunity for positive growth for both you and your child.
For parents, nurturing their teens to become healthy, well-adjusted adults seems more challenging now than ever before. There are many pressures for kids to grow up faster than they should. Here, renowned adolescent medicine specialist Kenneth Ginsburg, M.D., and award-winning journalist Susan FitzGerald offer parents a practical, thoughtful strategy for guiding children through all the turning points on the way to adulthood - the "whens" and "hows" of adolescence.
Order on Amazon today!
Ginsburg says the trick is to know when to give your teen a little bit of rope and when to tighten it.
He suggests the following steps for parents:
1. Consider your teen’s temperament and unique developmental needs.
2. Listen respectfully to what your adolescent thinks she can handle and ask what guidance or support she seeks.
3. Invite her to develop a plan with you.
4. Generate a map of each step that needs to be mastered to gain the skills and confidence that will prepare her to meet the overall challenge.
5. Help her understand that she will continue to gain more independence and privileges as long as she continues to demonstrate responsibility. When she knows that your goal is to help her achieve her goal, she’ll be much less likely to complain that you are monitoring the process.
For more information and practical strategies for teens and parents, check out Ginsburg’s Web site, www.fosteringresilience.com.